Feature Stories

This is a story of a my 13 year old daughter, the love of her life, her horse and a disease that has left my daughter devastated.. On March 5, 2001 at 4:30am, a beautiful filly was born. The instant that Carolyn saw her there was a strong bond, and watching them looking into each others eyes was a magical moment. Carolyn watched as the filly struggled to take it firsts steps. She spent time rubbing the filly all over to get her use to the human touch, talking to her as she did when the baby was still in her moms belly. As time went on, Carolyn and Tory became the best of friends. Then the bad news came. The owner of Tory had her tested for HYPP, a disease that her father carried. Tory came back positive. The whole fact was, we were all in denial that this disease would affect our lives the way it did.

I had read a lot about HYPP and how with diet control it is a manageable disease. I researched online, contacted AQHA for information and found a vet that specialized in HYPP. Feeling that I had researched the disease from all angles we decided to purchase Tory just before her first birthday. Carolyn had no idea what we had done. Torys owner handed Carolyn the lead rope and said, "Tory is home now, she's yours!". Carolyn went nuts, crying, jumping up and down, hugging us, then telling Tory that they will never be separated again.

Carolyn spent every waking moment at the barn with her. They played and worked on her training. On Torys first birthday Carolyn made her a cake. She had birthday parties for her each year they were together. Christmas presents were bought for Tory and she had a stocking hung on the mantle in the house. Carolyn was able to do anything with Tory. At Christmas time, she would dress Tory up, this horse would wear tinsle around her neck and a santa hat on her head. She never shied away from anything because she trusted Carolyn so much.

As Tory grew older, Carolyn started working on the little things that would prepare her to be ridden. Carolyn would do things with Tory that I never was aware of like showing her the saddle pad, placing it on her back from the time she was 18mths old. Carolyn would lean on her back getting her use to the weight of a human and Tory never was afraid because she was with Carolyn. Carolyn worked her daily and once she turned 2, the real work started. Carolyn taught Tory in about all of 30 seconds to wear a bit and a headstall. She placed it on her and Tory grazed with it for 6 months for an hour a day.

In May of 2003 we sent Tory to our trainer for her breaking. Tory was wearing a saddle in about 3 days and was being ridden without incident in 8 days. Then came the day Carolyn got to sit on her back. You couldn’t wipe the smile off her face. Her dream came true, she was riding her best friend and from that day forward Carolyn rode her daily. Carolyn spent the entire summer of 2003 at the trainer’s barn, from 5:30am till noon, lunging, riding and ground working her. Carolyn and Tory worked incredibly hard, but Tory never once did anything wrong. She was the best 2 1/2 year old horse in the world. Our trainer said she had never broke a horse so quick and smooth. Tory was so incredibly gentle, especially when Carolyn was on her back.

They spent a lot of time working on Halter and showmanship work. But during all of her training her mild HYPP attacks were becoming more frequent. We worked through them and continued to follow the strict diet and exercise program that was recommended by our vet. She was out daily in pasture, with little stall confinement. We had started her on a medication Acetazolamide at 14 months old that could possibly help control them. I did a lot of research on HYPP and Carolyn even was making her special treats that didn’t contain the ingredients that could cause attacks.

In February of 2004, Tory had a real bad HYPP attack. She collapsed and couldnt get back up. It was the most horrific thing to watch. Carolyn immediately administered the Karo syrup that we had become accustomed to doing, but Tory was not responding this time. We immediately contacted the vet. The vet was there within minutes and started giving her the medications she needed. They started an IV drip through a catheter in her neck and ran a glucose/calcium drip for 3 hours. The vet knew Tory well and knew of the disease process. He pulled me aside and said that she could have an attack bad enough to kill her. He proceeded to tell Carolyn that she has been doing such an incredible job with controlling her attacks and she is doing a lot more than most people would do for their horses and if anything happens to Tory it is not because of something that she didn’t do. He told her to continue to love and take care of her the way she has and that it was in Gods hands now.

Carolyn, her Dad and I decided to go camping for a weekend. On Sunday, March 28,2004, we received a call that night at the campground. I called home to hear my friend, who was watching my animals, tell me that Tory, Carolyns mare only 3 years old, had died suddenly in the pasture of our home from an HYPP attack. We were devastated, but the real devastation came when we had to go back to the trailer and tell Carolyn that her best friend had died. That was the worst day of all our lives. We packed up our stuff and headed home the next morning. Arrangements had made to have her removed before we got home. I called her and told them that Carolyn wanted to see her. So they delayed the pickup till we came home. Our trainer came, as well as Torys old owner, were there to help Carolyn through this. We all stood back and watched Carolyn walk over and sit down beside Tory and cry. Carolyn sat there with her for an hour, stroking her face and neck. Kissing her muzzle and telling her! how much she loved her. It tore our hearts out watching our little girl of 13 suffering with the loss of her best friend and companion. Tory was like a sister to Carolyn. Carolyn would go to her and talk to her like she was a human, now that was gone, ripped away from her because of a disease that could have been stopped many years ago by not continuing to breed these HYPP positive horses.

I’m writing this story for two reasons. One is to help with my healing process of losing Tory and watching my daughter every day suffer over this loss. Tory has been gone for 6 months now and Carolyn still has all her pictures of them together all over her room. She still sleeps with her picture every night. She dreams of the day that she will meet Tory again and cross the "Rainbow Bridge" together. The second reason for writing this is to help people out there that are looking for horses, to understand, NEVER buy a horse with HYPP. These horses do have attacks and they are horrible to watch and yes then can die, and die suddenly. Even if the horse only has HYPP on one side of its parentage, it can still happen. Tory was N/H and now she’s gone. Don’t be in denial like we were, it’s not worth the pain you will feel when you lose them.

The horse industry needs to put an end to this disease. They need to not allow breeders to register those who test positive for the disease. Quarter Horses that test N/H will still be able to be registered. Allowing N/H horses to be registered won’t stop the breeders from still breeding and spreading this deadly disease. All AQHA seems to be doing is extending the years that this disease will continue to ruin people lives. I personally don’t care about these breeders that say that they will lose everything if AQHA wont allow HYPP horses to be registered , they are only in it for the money. What about the pain and suffering these horses go through, I think it’s the horse that loses everything. No matter how much research you do on HYPP, no matter if you follow all the instructions, the horse can suffer and die. Carolyn did more than most would do for their horses and Tory died, and on that day a part of my little girl died too. Don’t let it happen to you.

Thank you for letting me share my story.


Susan Gogos

****Story submitted December 21, 2004****
As I write this email, its hard to hold back the emotions from the sudden death of my 15 year old beautiful, healthy, vivatios gelding.  Impressive 1990 a/k/a Ninety Boy, somewhat of an antique for this day and time.  His breeding, conformation and heart was nothing short of "Impressive" - Sire: Impressive; Maternal Grandsire: Tardee Too.

   I have owned Ninety since December 1999.  I bought him knowing he was N/H as his previous owner had him tested.  Nevertheless, I educated myself on care for these "special" animals.  I would consider Ninety to be a moderately affected N/H horse.  For the most part, we controlled his attacks with diet, exercise, daily turnout, etc.

   Over the five years I have owned Ninety he has done everything I have asked of him.  I purchased Ninety for a safe first horse project and he has given me five good years as a friend, companion and competitive show horse.  During those five years, the suffering he endured during his attacks (a few of which were SEVERE) tore my heart apart.  For years I have told everyone "I will never sell him and he can NEVER be replaced, but I will not own another N/H horse".  I think it can be classified as sensless suffering.

   Yesterday around 5:00, I brought in a healthy horse full of life from his pasture, cleaned his hooves, groomed his lusturous sorrel coat, kissed him on the forehead, gave him 1/2 pad of hay and left the barn.  At 11:00 last night I went to feed his grain and put his blanket on him and there he lay...still, quiet and lifeless.

   We will never know the pain he endured due to his HYPP attacks.  Never again will he suffer!  I will see you when I get there Ninety:)


Story submitted January 2, 2005
Carolyn and Tory

I read your stories of HyPP on your website and wanted to share mine
with you. I lost my APHA stallion ExpressitImpressiv on Christmas day
2004 to a HyPP attack. He had never had an attack before, he was 13
years old and N/H.

I was given a new English saddle for Christmas and raced up to the barn
to try it on 'Mister'. It fit great, we rode around, I played with him,
groomed him, gave him his grain and put him away. He was found dead in
his stall the next morning and the vet said he died about 12 hours
earlier, which was about 2 hours after I put him away Christmas day. I
was devastated.

I bought him, and bred him knowing he was HyPP positive. I only bred to
N/N mares. I read everything I could on it, I talked to breeders that
breed for H/H horses. I have gone completely the other way now. I will
NEVER own or breed another N/H or H/H horse.

Mister had one filly this year, she was born on my dad's birthday, Feb.
19th. I sent in her tail hair to UC Davis two weeks after she was born,
praying that she'd be N/N.... and she was! I would have kept her, had
she been N/H, but I never would have bred her and I always would have
worried about her having an attack or dying like her daddy. We named
her 'Love' and she will always be with us.

I hope some day all the registries will ban N/H and H/H horses.

Thank you,
Story submitted May 6, 2005
Love - Mister's N/N filly