Hello, I have a mare that I bought from a man who said she was negative for Hypp, he even gave me a certificate that said N/N. Little did I know that he had done this for several of his foals, his stud (WHO IS DEAD) Featured up Front is N/H and he told everyone he was N/N. He would have the vet draw blood on a different foal that was already tested negative.
The AQHA was informed about this and the man is no longer associated with horses or AQHA but that still leaves me with my filly that I spent a lot of time and money on and here is her true story.

I bought her as a 6 month old weanling, my first show horse, she was doing well till she was a year old and we thought she was choking on hay, we call the vet out and he asked about her HyPP status, I told him she was N/N, but when I mentioned her pedigree he tested her anyway. She is N/H positive. I never knew much about HyPP so I just continued, like so many people, to feed her sweet feed and keep her going for halter. She did very well and I never had a problem for the next 2 years. Well, as a three year old I started racing her, I made weight as her jockey and was going for my trainers license. I breezed her several times and I never noticed any problems. After her first 3 races she had placed with two 4ths and one 3rd and we increased her training and grain. 24 pound + of Omega sweet feed, well that did it!  I scratched her from the race as I thought she was a bit off so one of the other riders and I thought we would just breeze them around the track once as they were both really pumped. I didn't make it 100 feet and she went down at a full gallop. I don't really remember too much other than her falling and rolling right over me, and skidding down the track. She had knocked the wind out of me broke my shoulder, collar bone in 2 places, 2 ribs and dislocated my hip. THAT HURT!!!!! I split my jockey helmet and thank good for flat vests! Anyway, I got up and ran over to her, her gums were black and her eyes were rolled up in her head. Her tounge was hanging out as far as it could go and she was NOT breathing. I had to knock a rail off the track and hit her several times to get her to come too. I couldn't yell as I could hardly breath and I couldn't hit her hard because of my shoulder. It was scary. However she did come to and her and I hobbled back to the barn. I went to the hospital and the other rider called the vet out as she went down in the stall too.

The vet figured she had a sever attack and it affected the lung, and heart. We had to treat her everyday with meds and I could give her IV jugs as well, She was down for 15 days we had to move her with the tractor into the arena and lift her every 2 hours to drink and eat. The vet wanted to put her down I wanted to keep trying. On the 16th day the vet showed up to put her down and she was standing on her own so we decided to give her a chance. She had lost over 300 pounds by the end of it all and was badly cut up from trashing around.

I still have the mare and she is 8 years old now, she is on an oats and oil diet and doing well, she is a wonderful nurse mare to orphan foals and has 2 Belgian babies at her side right now. I still ride her but no faster than a lope, and even if she can have kids of her own well she is still a good pet.

As for the breeder and seller, he was in jail for several account of fraud and child molestation so I never did get a chance to confront him about my mare FEATURED GOLD JET better known as CHASE.

I don't know how anyone could sell a horse without telling people about their HyPP status.

Tracey
hello and thank you for this informative site on HYPP.  As a trainer and breeder I have never had to deal with hypp as I always avoided those type of horses and since I like to breed for pleasure it didn't seem to be a concern.  Unfortunately that changed this year I went in search of the perfect horse for my customer and wound up in Oklahoma at a reputable farm.  We looked at a couple horses but there was this really tall lean gelding that could do exactly what my customer was wanting to do still needed training but was THE ONE.  We talked with the owners and looked at his papers there was no impressive on his papers and we were told that he was a cropout and there was a test on file saying he was N/N and they had never had a symptom.  The next time I have someone tell me there is a test and a horse is N/N I am running for the car and driving out of there as fast as I can unless they produce results because they obviously knew something.  We hauled this horse out to California and 6 weeks to the day he had his first episode at first I thought he was tying up so I blanketed him got him in his stall and called the vet who was 20 minutes away, that was until he went crashing to the ground and I saw the third eye lid flip on him and I knew this horse was POSITIVE.  I immediately went to the stall across from our horse grabbed his Karo syrup and started forcing it under his tongue with in twenty minutes he was on his feet and within 4 hours was stable enough to haul to the hospital for his IV's and to watch overnight.  Unfortunately we went back to the sellers and refused to give us our money back on the horse we must have done something to cause   this, this must have been the trainers fault,  but they would trade us for a horse without any training on it.  Since the onset of his first episode the horse has had two additional ones every six weeks. He's now on Full care at the barn so he gets 4 hours of turnout per day grass oat mixed hay, he eats only beet pulp with natural glo and a cup of oats and 1/2 teaspoon acetazolimide two times per day we are now at week 5 and waiting to see if we have episode #4.  I don't let anyone ride him except for myself and his owner.  Shows don't seem to stress  him nor does hauling so we do not know what causes his attacks we are taking off the weight we put on him to see if this helps as well I hate skinny horses where you see every rib on them but that is how he was when we got him and he never (supposedly) had an episode until we got him.  I researched the pedigree and did find out that his sire is N/H and the breeder did do a test on him as a weanling and he was N/H but unfortunately it was never put on his papers otherwise I would have never spent 20K on this horse I would have walked away How can I trust that this horse will be ok enough for my customer to jump?  He will have a home for life at my barn and now everyone in the barn knows to check on him when they are in just incase he has another episode hopefully we will be able to save him again.  So now my new horse owner has a monthly training bill of 300.00 plus board at $320.00 plus has to buy his special food at $100.00 plus his ace of $80.00 and his daily turnout into pasture at $150.00.  Now this Special horse is costing my customer $950.00 per month because she was lied to and if we were to go after them the attorney fees on top of that because come to find out the sellers knew this horse has an issue.  I think that there should be a list so you can look up to see if a horse has been tested and what the results are because Davis will not give even a veterinarian the results of a tested animal because its a confidential test.

Anonymous at sender's request
The Bringing Light Group accepts experience stories as they are submitted to us. Given all the information available about HyPP, we have no reason to doubt them, but cannot prove or disprove any other than our own experiences as being 100% accurate.
Home
Mission Statement
Impressive
Myths/Facts
Experiences
Experiences 2
E-Mail
Submit Your
Story
EXPERIENCES 3
This page was last updated: September 25, 2009